Wednesday Facts: you didn't know this yet

March 15, 2022 / Topical / Background

You will be surprised what all alcohol is really not good for. Drinking (too much) alcohol affects your overall constitution. These facts keep you spontaneously sober.

Alcohol will not make you smell any better.

And that's in several things. If you've been drinking heavily, your body wants to break down and release the alcohol as quickly as possible. This 'discharging' takes place in different ways. About 10 percent of alcohol leaves the body through breath, sweat and urine. The other 90 percent is actively broken down in the body. Back to that 10 percent: that is not a pleasant smell. A hangover is accompanied by a smelly breath and ditto armpits. So you better reschedule that date…

Excessive drinking can lead to alcoholic neuropathy.

You may have heard of it, but chances are it doesn't tell you anything. Alcoholic neuropathy. This is a condition in which the nervous system is damaged. And that's bad news, because it can affect nerves throughout your body. Most people dealing with alcoholic neuropathy suffer from damaged sensory nerves. But in some cases, the motor nerves are also damaged (polyneuropathy). It is a condition associated with excessive alcohol consumption.

When do you drink excessively?

Excessive drinking means that men drink more than 21 drinks a week and women more than 14 drinks a week. Long-term excessive alcohol consumption is related to damage to organs, increased risk of cancer and the development of addiction. Excessive alcohol consumption is particularly common among 18-25 year olds. However, it is also relatively common between the ages of 50 and 70.

Excessive alcohol consumption can make you mentally confused.

A very heavy drinker or someone who drinks excessively can suffer from (serious) disorders such as depression, anxiety disorders, psychoses and neurological disorders (Korsakov syndrome). In addition, excessive alcohol consumption can lead to psychoses such as delirium tremens, alcohol hallucinosis, alcoholic jealousy and other forms of alcohol 'paranoia'. Conversely, with some psychiatric disorders, excessive alcohol consumption can lead to the development of a psychotic period. This does not happen when drinking water, tea, coffee or something else non-alcoholic. So…..

You can get a red nose from alcohol.

Yes, you read that right. And that's not pretty. Long-term excessive alcohol consumption can cause high blood pressure, among other things. In this way, damage to the blood vessels is caused. This can be a reason for constant vasodilation in the face (the red veins are somewhat swollen and much more visible). Source:


March 18, 2023 / Background

Better laugh real than fake

'Laughter is healthy' is the expression for a reason. Does your brain register a good joke, hilarious cat video or a funny situation, then that is the starting signal for the production of…
Lees meer
Wijzig instellingen voor chat