10% of home workers drink during working hours
And by drink we don't mean a cup of tea or a glass of soda. This is about alcohol. In other words: 1 in 10 home workers drinks alcohol during working hours. And sorry gentlemen, but in most cases it is the man who allows himself to booze during work hours.
Working from home took a huge flight during corona. Because yes, there is a risk of contamination, so 'stay at home, stay at home, restez à la maison, bleib zuhause' was the motto back then. Working from home became second nature to us and many people actually liked it quite a bit. You are more productive, because you have no more travel time and no more coffee chats. You also have the feeling that you have more control over your own agenda and time schedule. And that creates a certain sense of freedom.
A little too much freedom?
Although the majority can handle this new form of freedom very well, there is still that 10 percent who drinks alcohol during working hours. The numbers at a glance:
- 12 percent of men sometimes drink alcohol while working from home (and not just on Friday afternoons).
- 5 percent of women also admit to having done this at some point.
- 14 percent of twenty-somethings sometimes toast during working hours.
- Single people drink more often than households consisting of several people.
Tips to stay fresh and clear
Stress, boredom, habit, loneliness: there are many reasons to grab a beer, drink or wine during working hours – when no one is looking. How can you prevent this? We have a few tips:
- An open door, but don't bring it into your home. Alcohol that is not there cannot be drunk.
- Bring a good structure into your day. Start the day with a walk (no travel time so time left in the morning), work a few hours. Take a break and do something completely different. Maybe sweep the sidewalk? Unloading the dishwasher? Or listen to part of a podcast?
- Make sure you have regular contact with colleagues. Calling, Teaming, Zooming, Facetime, app, e-mail: staying informed of each other and each other's productivity is necessary anyway and it is an extra big stick behind the door to be and stay busy with your work.